Wednesday 17 October 2018

Summer Sonic 2018

Despite never having been to a festival in my life, I decided to jump right into the deep end this summer, and went to Summer Sonic in Osaka. 

It's similar to festivals back home, and like Leeds and Reading in the sense its line up alternates locations over the two days. However, since they take place in stadiums and outdoor sporting areas both in Tokyo and Osaka, people don't camp overnight.

Haruka and I decided to only go for one day, and we wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for our favourite band, One Ok Rock, announcing their performance. It's been almost 3 years since we saw them together in Manchester, and although I saw them in March too, it was a totally different experience seeing them at a festival in Japan compared to an arena. During their tour, fans were completely reserved with coordinated fist pumping and quietly listened to their singing. This was anything but that. I was bruised and filthy afterwards, but it was definitely the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a concert.
 
There were five different stages, and luckily all of the artists we wanted to watch were at different times. Such a variety of artists attended so there really was something for everyone; we saw Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, One Ok Rock, Paramore, Jess Glynne and overheard many others. 

There was also a magical little oasis area in amongst all of the stages, filled with a variety of food stalls and spaces to just chill out. Easily the best place to people watch and eat lemon ramen at sunset, surrounded by palm trees and booming music.

Frankly I dont think I could have handled another day in the blazing heat, but all things considered I did well. My white ass remained wonderfully snow white and sunburn free (thanks to a custom made kaftan courtesy of Simona for that exact purpose) and I didnt get heat stroke, something which I was super stressed about since I got it last year. Needless to say I had no shame and spent the best part of the afternoon wearing the cooling gel strips you put on kids who have a fever. 
 
I do have some standards though. When we were stuck in the midst of a mosh pit, Taka being less than a metre away and my hat flying off, my first instinct was to rip it off my forehead and fling it into the crowd. God knows where it ended up, but I'll be damned if I ever let Taka see me as the girl with a blue sticky strip on her forehead.  

Take a peek at our sweaty as hell after mosh pit picture, it sums the day up pretty well.

2 comments: