Thursday 16 October 2014

Chi Olympics and Big/Little reveal.

This past week has been filled with Chi O events and the ball seems to be rolling, in more ways than one.

Our philanthropy event, Chi Olympics was this past Sunday, which consisted of various inflatables and obstacle courses. Almost 50 teams signed up, with the funds raise going to Make A Wish foundation. The little girl who we were raising money for, Alexis, actually attended the event and we were raising money for her to go to Disney World.
The IM fields were filled with a variety of inflatables (jousting, bouncy castle and hamster balls, hence by pun earlier) and other games like shot put and tug of war.
I was a team coach, and my team were a lot of fun to work with even though we stood no chance of winning. I didn't manage to take pictures at the actual event because we were too busy running it, but I did get one of the token super-American banner we had.

For the rest of the week, we began the process of choosing our "big", someone who is assigned to us and who becomes my role model during my time in the sorority. Apparently the bond between big and little is very special, and is often a lifetime bond.
Every day for four days I had to collect gifts from my big, in an attempt to guess who she was from any hints she left me. It's really nice since I got mason jars from her that spell C-H-I-O and my first pair of letters, things I'll be able to take home. Which I appreciate a lot more than a girl in my pledge class who got a fish.

One day 2 there was the traditional giving of hand-me-down Chi O clothing as some way of showing the continued sisterhood. I conveniently got a "Potter" one, which was obviously a nod to my British-ness.
I had no idea who my big would be, so on reveal day everyone was given t-shirts by their big, and they were all lined up in the garden wearing sweatshirts. On the count of three they all took off their sweatshirts and we had to find our big by our corresponding t-shirts.
I was so happy, since my big is Sarah. I've got along with her really well ever since recruitment, and it's nice since she is studying abroad at Swansea next semester. Goes to prove Chi O can go international when we have a big/little reunion once I'm back home!



No comments:

Post a Comment