Friday 31 October 2014

Good food & good company.

The title says it all really, what better to way to celebrate the halfway point of this whole study abroad experience!

Earlier this month Leif and Caragh had spotted a cute little cafe not too far from campus, so we all decided to go on a little brunch date on Tuesday. Lucille's is a New Orleans style joint, and what can I say, the food was to die for. Homemade buttermilk biscuits with apple butter, orange marmalade, blueberry and strawberry rhubarb jam. Eggs galore. It was definitely a pleasant change from the dining hall food! Needless to say we all had food babies, or more like triplets, after we left. Thankfully though our decision not to order beignets too (much to Caragh's distaste) was a good one, so it looks like we'll have to go back again to try them.
That night we decided to go to Sundance for the second time, but this time with the rest of "Team Commonwealth" in tow. We must have been the most annoying people in the world, since we proceeded to dance like we would in the SU right in the middle of the dancefloor. Thankfully, we were too drunk to notice the glares we were most likely getting from everyone trying to line dance.

Wednesday night Caragh and I went to Zeta Tau Alpha's "Think Pink Dessert Party" to raise money for breast cancer. I have no idea why we thought it would be English desserts, but god were we so wrong. I don't think I've ever been anywhere with as much peanut butter, sugary, brightly pink food-coloured stuff in my life! But hey, all for a good cause.

Thursday was Chi O's first social, which was "day at the zoo themed". I'd invited Caragh as my date, and we didn't have an absolute clue what to wear. Running low on ideas, I had a brain wave the night before, and thanks to my current obsession with animal print clothing, I conveniently had two things that matched for us to wear. Now came the zebra make up to complete the look... never again will I draw in my eyebrows with liquid eyeliner, talk about an effort to get them off. All in all everyone loved how we matched clothes and loved our make ups, so I'm blowing my own trumpet for a second at the design skills I didn't know I had!
The social was in the basement of Washington's sports bar downtown, and it was nice to have it to ourselves. I still can't get used to the craziness of Americans at things like this though, Caragh and I were stood in shock for the majority of the night at how crazy they are without even having a drink.

On Sunday we had another sisterhood retreat at the house which was pumpkin patch themed. We got the chance to carve pumpkins, make smores and generally just bond. I know remember why I don't like carving pumpkins, the insides I can only compare to picking up someone else's sick. Not pleasant.
I couldn't stay for the whole time sadly since I had another midterm due at the end of the week, something that is becoming a common occurrence here. Leif hit the nail on the head, "there's not time for hangovers or illness in America, you get way behind too quickly".



No comments:

Post a Comment