Wednesday 26 August 2015

I had a golden gaytime in Radelaide.


It's not what you think. During my time in Melbourne, Chrissie and Leni had insisted I try what you could call a local delicacy, basically a caramel ice cream coated in chocolate and biscuit. I'll have to admit, it was pretty good. It obviously has a huge following too, since that week they introduced it in tub form and it was sold out everywhere I went! I also tried Vegemite which I liked, and was shocked but equally impressed by the amount of chicken schnitzels Will can eat over the course of a day.

I was staying with my family in Adelaide, which was nice considering I missed the majority of their visit to England at Christmas while I was still at CSU. I went a little overboard on cup of tea making, and embraced the home cooked meals involving potatoes with open arms.
Doing a typical touristy thing, I started by going to Gorge Wildlife Park with Will and some of his friends. This was were I got to hold my first koala, who was super cute, along with feeding wallabies, kangaroos and quokka. I'm still plotting ways I can steal all these cute little things and have them as a pet in the flat next year at uni.
We had a busy weekend, with Bec, Will, Terry and I visiting Victor Harbour, Port Elliot and Hahndorf in a whirlwind trip on the Saturday. Although we did sit watching whales and seals from the cliffs for almost an hour. Then on Sunday, we headed to the barossa valley for a quick tour of all the wineries. Guess I'll never be a designated driver either, although I drank the same amount as everyone else, I blew double the reading on the breathalyser. I introduce you to your resident lightweight of the group!

I managed to spend some more time with Leni too, one evening getting treated to a night at some choice pub with cheap drinks, a beer garden and a rather large selection of bogan guys. Although she was the first person to tell me about the Hello Kitty cafe in Adelaide, I didn't get a chance to go with her, but rather bullied Bec and Will into taking me. It was a lot more toned down in comparison to the others I'd been to, but I guess that's just the Asian market for you!

All in all, Adelaide totally wasn't what I imagined it to be like at all! That's not to say I didn't love it, I did, but god is it small! The o-bahn (practically a train track for buses that sounds German) still confuses me...
Despite being pretty sick during my time there, I appreciated finally being in cold weather were I could wrap up and go into hibernation mode. However Australia, I'm definitely not a fan of how bright it always is, especially early in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment