Friday 23 September 2016

Okinawa - A much needed tropical break



This past week, I went to Okinawa for 5 days with Sheridan, Clare, Ellen and Devin; fellow ALT’s in Kumamoto. It was honestly so needed, since I’d had a pretty crap week prior to going. I was getting super irritated at having no proper schedule, since I’m in a different school almost every day. That, combined with living alone, made me feel my life consisted of school, cooking dinner, doing chores, lesson planning for the next day, and being asleep by 10pm, day in and day out. I knew I needed a holiday when the fact I’d done laundry on Sunday, but it was stuck outside in torrential rain for 4 days and I couldn’t bring it inside because I have bamboo floors, pushed me over the edge.

Yet another typhoon was on its way, so we were praying our flight wouldn’t be cancelled. Thankfully it wasn’t, and even during our time there it barely felt like a huge typhoon was in the area. Kouri Island was beautiful, where we discovered a small café amongst the sugar cane fields. Miyagi Island was also another highlight, and I LOVED Makishi Public Market. We stayed in Naha, and the only way I can compare it to somewhere is that it is Japanese Miami. Parts of Chatan, with so many Americans everywhere, honestly made you forget you were in Japan at all.

I’ve been converted to loving vegan foods, something I thought I’d never say. I always overlooked those restaurants in the past, but we practically lived in them during our time in Okinawa. The food there was fabulous on a whole, and I ate at the best Mexican restaurant I’ve ever been to in my life. Go figure that’d be in Japan.

I’m also practically famous now too; after meeting some random Japanese guy, he introduced us to one of his friends who raps. Turns out he’s actually quite good and won some freestyle rap competition that was on Japanese TV, and even has a music video to speak of. Fast forward to him posting a photo on Instagram with me and 700 likes later, I’m now getting followed by all sorts of Japanese rap fans. Let’s just hope they don’t actually think I have any talent, it’s only drunk Caitlin who thinks she could challenge Nicki Minaj if the opportunity ever arose.

I wouldn’t say I’ve been fully rejuvenated after the trip to Okinawa, but it was a welcome break from work for a little while. Don’t get me wrong, I love the kids, but I could feel myself losing enthusiasm by the second. I’ll definitely be heading back to Okinawa at some point, hopefully going to some of the other more secluded islands closer to Taiwan. Now, back to the grind that is prepping for the speech contest my students have in a few weeks. Wish me luck and pray the children don’t develop Scouse accents!

No comments:

Post a Comment