Friday 12 May 2017

A wisteria wonderland.



Ever since I became interested in Japan, many things have entered onto my subconscious bucket list, Kawachi Fujien being one of them. Back when it did, I didn’t think I’d be living in Kumamoto, not so far away, or that Kohei would literally live down the road.

The downfall of seeing the wisteria in full bloom meant that so many other people would want to do the same. Despite my fears of it being jam-packed and ruining the experience, we managed to time it perfectly and miss the crowds. The wisteria tunnels were just enchanting, making me feel like a princess in my own fairy-tale. 
You follow the trail under the tunnels, through changing colours from violet and lilac, bright and dusky pinks, to crisp white. Every so often was a little dome of hanging wisteria, which reminded me somewhat of little Hobbit homes in The Shire.

Once we reached the top of the gardens, the view down the hill was stunning. Under the green canopy you could see glimpses of the colourful wisteria underneath, all while the light wind was blowing some of the petals around us.

It’s hard to describe how beautiful this place is, since the pictures barely do it justice; you need the full experience of the sweet smell that just engulfs you upon arrival, and the abundance of bees enjoying the flowers just as much as we were. 


It’s not just the wisteria garden that is worth a visit, but also the surrounding area. I’m definitely planning to head back when it’s not flower blooming season anymore, to have a picnic and a paddle in the huge lake next door.

1 comment:

  1. It's full of surprises, carry on with your adventures

    ReplyDelete