Tuesday 27 June 2017

My Birthday & Bangtan.



Last week I finally turned 22, so I threw myself a glitter themed wine party, because that’s just me. Everyone looked fabulously sparkly, and Kohei, Sheridan and I even unintentionally matched. There was body and hair glitter everywhere, and I’m astounded I didn’t blind myself with any of the craft glitter I put on my eyelids. It was like a 90’s girls dream. All I needed was butterfly clips, Groovy Chick stationary, and some roll-on perfume and I would have been set.

It was actually a very adult birthday that didn’t feel like one at all.  However, some of my students at junior high school that day made me feel super loved, running up to me to give me hugs. 
The next day at one of my elementary schools, my teachers gifted me a beautiful towel, whilst some 8 year olds surprised me with origami and the cutest rendition of Happy Birthday during English club.

I’ve been away for a birthday before, but this was totally different. Nevertheless, I feel super grateful for being surrounded by so many people who made it special in a different kind of way. Gone are the days of BBQ’s in my garden back home, instead my birthday was filled with dinner dates with my Kumamoto darlings. 
At my party, Kohei surprised me with the cutest Winnie the Pooh ice cream cake, then a few days later, Sheridan made me pavlova and drunkenly decorated it at the dinner table. Both very different, but equally as thoughtful.

Bringing my birthday “week” to an end, Ruth, Chloe, Kim and I headed to Fukuoka to see BTS. Full title of the concert? 2017 BTS Live Trilogy Episode III. The Wings Tour – Japan Edition. Bit of a mouthful, I know. The venue was smaller than the past concerts I’ve been to and the atmosphere was so much more. They did everything from solos, to singing old stuff, to using a mix of Korean and Japanese versions which I actually really preferred.  

It was hands down the best concert I’ve been to because, damn, those boys don’t half put on a show. Jimin nearly killed me from being so beautiful and dancing how he does too. I mean, I expected it, but not that much. I’m still saddened my dream of them finding us mid-show and inviting us for a night out in Fukuoka didn’t happen, but at least now Kohei knows where my true loyalties lie.

It really sucks that you aren’t allowed to take pictures or videos, especially because I’m definitely watched by security more being a gaijin. Needless to say, I did manage a sneaky unfocused and muffled video by inconspicuously sticking my phone into the waistband of my shorts. 
I’ve now earned the coolest teacher award for sure. My students were all running to me for an update on Monday morning, followed by a chorus of “いいなあ” after telling them all about it. Even funnier was how they all knew the reason why I had no voice (I’m looking at you, Jimin), but kept that one of the down low for me. It’s like I have my own little BTS posse and I’m the ringleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment