Monday 5 June 2017

Camping in Amakusa


Although we’d decided to do this trip before it got too hot, last week started pushing 30 degrees daily and I can already feel my reverse seasonal affective disorder kicking in. It was my first time properly camping, so armed with sunscreen & mosquito coils (along with too little clothing for the windy evening on the mountain top, might I add) I was ready for the adventure.

 
I think we deserve a medal for a) carrying the entire car load up part of the mountain in one trip, and b) managing to put up the tent for the first time, in the pitch black, with no real issues. Cue us starting our little BBQ of veggie skewers, yaki onigiri and mochi with seaweed. Breakfast was equally as simple with soy milk oatmeal, and I even brought along stuff for us to have smores over our “campfire”.

We didn’t do a whole lot during the weekend, but it was the first trip that Sheridan, Clare, Eleesa and I have been on together… long overdue since Clare is leaving to go back to Canada in a few months. Sticking to my promise to embrace being out of my comfort zone, I even joined in on an early morning yoga session ran by Eleesa in our underwear. Definitely not something you could do back in our apartments.

Despite being absolutely knackered and having the busiest week ahead, I definitely needed the time away from the world to fully relax. The views driving along the Five Bridges of Amakusa were beautiful, and I can only hope I can spend more time exploring that little part of the prefecture that is a cool haven compared to Kumamoto City. I’m a city girl at heart, but you can’t beat waking up to this view in the morning.




3 comments:

  1. Carry on with these little adventures Hun, even if i am the only one who comments on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kohei Hashioka5 June 2017 at 18:07

    Teach me how to do a camping. Then I'll be your Bear Grylls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just learn how to grill her food she will be happy!

    ReplyDelete