Thursday 5 April 2018

花見


In a blink of an eye, this year’s cherry blossom in Kumamoto has disappeared, almost as fast as it bloomed. There’s something I find so visually compelling during this season, when for around two weeks, the places you know so well suddenly transform into bustling havens of white and blush pink.
.
This year the season was a little earlier, and quite frankly stunning. Apologies to my parents who came all the way to Japan last year to catch a pretty mediocre bloom… looks like they’ll just have to come back another time. Days spent chasing the smallest buds around the country last year were replaced with glorious blossoms scattered everywhere throughout spring break.

I’m lucky to work so close to Kumamoto Castle this time of year, meaning I could fully enjoy the sakura on my lunch break. Nothing beats visiting some small food stalls alongside the river, to sit and watch the wind blow the delicate petals around you. 

I took an evening trip to Honmyoji Temple with Kohei too. We watched the sunset, but I also experienced yozakura (night time cherry blossom viewing) for the first time. The sakura was stunning in a completely different way, almost glowing in the moonlight. It’s a shame that this season is so fleeting, but that’s part of the magic.

I did hanami (flower viewing) whenever I could, spending most of my days or afternoons off visiting the castle grounds. Usually complete with a makeshift picnic blanket and lots of alcohol. The castle restoration is showing signs of progress, with 7200 tiles recently replacing the roof, allowing the temporary cover to be removed. 

I think the blooming sakura is somewhat representative of the resilience of Kumamoto and its people.  Although it may be delicate, it brings people together through tough times and keeps coming back. In this year’s case, brighter and more abundant than before.

1 comment: