Thursday 17 November 2016

Ducks, rabbits & dolphins: No I wasn’t at a zoo, I was at kindergarten!



Just after I got back from Seoul I was greeted with a cheeky little schedule change, saying I was off to spend the day at a kindergarten. I wasn’t really complaining, since I got to sleep in, and part of my timetable for the day actually stated “12:40 – Play with the children”.
I almost died when I arrived. Kindergarteners here are aged 3 to 6, and although I knew they were small, I didn’t realise just how small they would be. Cuteness overload occurred when I realised they all wore coloured hats corresponding to their classes. The youngest were yellow ducks, then the pink rabbits and finally the blue dolphins.

I actually had the best day, teaching the rabbits and dolphins some colours, and eating lunch with the ducks. Every single one of them insisted on showing me their adorable bento boxes before starting to eat, with my Hello Kitty bento box going down a storm.
My lunchtime was spent lifting plant pots for the little ones so they could catch the insects underneath; there’s definitely worse things to be getting paid for. My heart completely melted when one little boy took a shine to me, and insisted I walk around the playground holding his hand while he showed me their pet turtles. 

It was draining, I was filthy from little grubby hands, but I was absolutely made up that the staff said they’d love to have me back next year for their English days. Some of the children are planning to go to my elementary schools too, which will be nice for the both of us to have some familiar faces when the next school year comes around.

Yet another example of how small Kumamoto is: I already teach one of my teachers’ kids at elementary school, and turn out his youngest goes to this kindergarten too. Here’s hoping they’re reporting good things back to their dad and my job isn’t in jeopardy! 
I think I’m safe though, the reviews we’ve been having lately have gone better than I could have imagined, especially in my junior high where I had some pretty big boots to fill. My elementary schools are thrilled purely at the fact I embrace being pummelled by dodgeballs every lunch time. I think the kids like me too, especially since I'm greeted with origami or artwork on the chalkboard when I join each class for kyuushoku.

I guess I’m alright at winging this whole teacher thing after all!


3 comments: