Monday 14 November 2016

Halloween in Seoul: soju, shopping and some sugar & spice.



Visiting Seoul for Halloween was one of the best ideas I’ve had in a while. I’m pretty sure I spent 90% of it a hungover mess, but it was definitely worth it. Halloween itself was one of the best I’ve ever had; our PowerPuff Girl costumes went down a storm and I’ve never seen anything quite as comparable to Seoul nightlife. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a club so jam packed, and filled with beautiful boys, of course.  


Buhkansan National Park
We spent one day hiking a few trails and boy, what a view. We had an impromptu picnic at a lookout point too, and it was really nice to just sit, watch the world go by, and forget about having responsibilities and teaching children for a little while. Thankfully we all lived to tell the tale, despite some near misses… *cough* Clare. I’ve never seen that side of Seoul before, usually just the daily buzz the city has to offer, so it was definitely a welcomed change.

 

Hello Kitty Café
Last time, although I’d managed to visit the Myeongdong Hello Kitty café, this one was being re-located, much to my disappointment. I’d planned to go back to this one for the longest time, and wasn’t quite expecting to stumble across it on Halloween as it was conveniently next door to the toppoki place we chose to eat at. Saving the excitement for another day, when I finally went, I discovered how magical this café was. Hidden amongst trees in the quietest part of Hongdae, a little pink house emerged as you climbed the stairs. It’s something I’d expect to see in an enchanted forest, and the inside didn’t disappoint either.

 It’s the biggest Hello Kitty café I’ve been to, and is themed like a house, with a fireplace area, bedrooms and balconies on the second floor. I matched the décor perfectly in my Sanrio sweater too (I swear I didn’t plan it, but either way I looked the definition of kawaii). Kudos to Chloe for allowing me to indulge my childish nature for a while and taking pictures of me lying in Hello Kitty’s bed. It takes a special kind of person to accept me for who I am.


Café Blind Alley
On one of my many days researching quaint locations in Seoul, I stumbled across a raccoon café and knew immediately I had to go. We went later in the evening, and despite that being the time when raccoons are meant to be their most active, what a complete lie. Even still, they’re super cute to look at when they’re sleeping, and the coffee was damn good too.

 
Dongdaemun Design Plaza
Another one of my “must visit when in Seoul” locations was the LED light garden located on the rooftop.  Each flower represents one day of Korea’s independence over the past 70 years, meaning there are now over 25,000 lit up every night. It was so beautiful and had such a lovely relaxing atmosphere. I’m happy that this exhibition has remained longer than initially intended so I finally got to go, even if that does make me sound like a nerd wanting to see a bunch of lit up flowers.



The thing I enjoy most about Korea is the people. There is such a wonderful vibe in the city that’s really hard to put your finger on, but it’s been apparent each time I’ve visited and keeps me wanting more. One of my favourite past times in the city is walking round Hongdae, soaking up all the vibes and watching college kids performing k-pop dances on the streets. I will admit I got a bit carried away watching a certain bunch, since they slayed BTS’s new single, much to my enjoyment. 



Seoul during autumn is beautiful, and the urge to go back is even stronger now. The roasted chestnuts, burnt orange foliage and grapefruit soju all helped to create a nice homely feeling, at a time when I was a little sad for not being home for the traditions of Bonfire Night. It was nice having visited Seoul before to not have to run around visiting all the tourist attractions. 
Instead, I got to experience the ‘real Seoul’, even if that did mean drinking chestnut makgeolli in a park at 3am and convincing some boys into going to noraebang (Korean karaoke). Said boys went to school with a famous rapper I listen to, which they were surprised by, proving that in Seoul, you can honestly befriend anyone. Randomly playing Korean drinking games with musical theatre teachers, who proceeded to perform a little number for us (at a chicken restaurant, no less) pretty much sums this up.

Along with meeting numerous new friends, I got to reunite with an old one too. Jah met us all on Halloween for a crazy night, and I managed to see him again for dinner at what is, hands down, my favourite restaurant in Seoul. He remembered exactly what my favourite food was too; ultimate friend goals right there. It’s always nice to have a local to do all the Korean talking for you, and a friendly face to go back to when I inevitably return again.

2 comments: