Thursday 3 November 2016

New places, new faces.


Tomi's Shortbread House
On my way downtown I pass a small, very British looking shop, but most days it's already closed before I finish work. I finally ventured in not too long ago, and I was so glad I did. As I walked in, I was greeted by the sweet Japanese owner who had the most London accent you could imagine. We spoke for over an hour reminiscing about England and she welcomed me with open arms & big hugs.
Today Tsuruya, one of the department stores downtown, currently has a British food fair. I spent my afternoon sampling craft beers, ciders, Welsh cheeses, marmalade & made a visit to the shortbread stand to spread my love to my new favourite baker in Kumamoto. It's nice to have somewhere to go where I can feel a bit of a home away from home, even if it's just to look at some tartan & smell some proper butter.

My new nail salon - Calm Place Palette
Following Okinawa, I had to find a nail place to frequent in Kumamoto, and the one I found did not disappoint! After exchanging numerous pictures I went to meet the most adorable girl ever, and spent my time teaching her some English. She was thoroughly amused by the word "thumb" of all things, and my Japanese is really benefitting from just chatting to her. I left so happy with how they looked, and all of my students love how I have Rilakkuma nails... cue the squeals of 'kawaii' at me daily.
Check out her Instagram @kao_comocomu and await the next designs we'll have in store!


Taiko
I went taiko drumming for the first time with Chloe & Kim, which is probably something you'd recognise being performed at various festivals around Japan. Within two minutes of walking into the room I already had a rather large drum thrusted upon me with no clue what to do. It's actually a lot more difficult than it looks, so we spent almost an hour practicing how to hit the drum properly, the positions they use, and how it all ties together.
The second half was more my thing, when I got given a tiny tambourine size drum and a stick with a ribbon. We began learning a dance that is going to be performed next year sometime, and bloody hell, talk about multitasking to the max! Everyone was so welcoming and even though that is miles away from me too, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to try again. Next time, I've promised myself to not just be aimlessly twirling myself around with a stick in my hand.
  

Kumamoto Sweetie Lady Bears
I know, what a name. I finally bit the bullet and dragged Sheridan along to try out some rugby with me. The girls were all so lovely and despite being a hot mess to say the least, I really enjoyed it! We actually train at the same sports park where the Rugby World Cup venue in Kumamoto is. The only downside is that there's a treacherous 40 minute trek to get there going through rice fields in the pitch black. If I don't blog again, you know I've been murdered by some haunted scarecrow.
I've no idea who saw me, but all the rugby lads at my junior high the next day were nagging me about when I'd come to watch them. This month, my schedule ties in really nicely with theres, so I'll actually be able to go and support them like they want.


In terms of the activities I've chosen, I'm a bit worried for my clumsy self being in proximity of my students. I now play rugby with two students, and go taiko drumming with another. The rugby girls kept it quiet until I saw them in school, cue me feeling like an awful person. My junior high school has 600 students alone, so I have to cut myself some slack when it comes to recognizing my elementary school students which are in utter abundance.
I can see it happening now though:
"Why do you have a broken arm?" "Keito-sensei tackled me."
"Why have you got a black eye?" "Keito-sensei hit me with a drum stick."
Nothing is sacred in this city anyway, since the Chinese whisper culture of what the foreigner is up to is ridiculous. Let's just hope I don't actually injure the kids.

3 comments: