Saturday 30 August 2014

First week & Labor Day weekend.

Well it's official, classes over here work very differently to how they do back at Keele!! I love my Criminal Investigations and Law Enforcement and Society classes, the instructor is a hoot. Quote "I want you to make SWAG in class, which stands for sophisticated wild ass guesses".My other classes are good too, but the dynamic is a little weirder. Strange assessments and senior friendship groups I have to weave my way into, but I'm sure that'll happen over time!
This week has been pretty quiet in the social aspect, but I did go to a burger place called Stuft on Thursday with a group of the internationals. Easily the best burger I've ever eaten in my life, you can build your own and naturally I named mine "The Scouser". However I did notice you could also have a warm glazed doughnut as a bun for your burger, not something I'm ever willing to try.

Yesterday was the Rocky Mountain Showdown, the college rival football game against the University of Colorado which is a big deal! The traffic was manic, and it took us almost 4 hours to make it to Sports Authority at Mile High Stadium in Denver, but the atmosphere inside was definitely worth it. Watching the games live is such a better experience than just watching on tv, so much so Caragh and I are planning to go to as many home games as we can :D The CSU Rams beat the Buffs 31-17, which was pretty hilarious. By the 4th quarter came around almost all of the CU fans had left the stadium out of shame.
On Saturday I went to experience Tour de Fat with Leif and Caragh. It's a bike parade in Fort Collins where everyone wears wacky outfits and then drink as much beer as they want from the various local breweries. I didn't realize you didn't have to have signed up in advance to be a part of the parade, but it's probably a good thing since I would have been a major hazard! We also came to the conclusion we should probably start planning our Halloween outfits now, because we really need to step up our game if we're going to compete with the Americans! I'm definitely glad I experienced it though, even just by walking through the parade since it's such a highlight of Fort Collins' events.
That night Caragh and I went to a sorority party. Never in my life have I seen such stereotypical American white girls grinding on any frat boy they saw. Needless to say we stayed out of that and got talking to some pretty cool people, the Brit card really does work.

On Sunday I went to Old Town Fort Collins with my roommate Olivia to do some exploring. We got dinner at this amazinnnggg sub place called Cheba Hut, which is obviously a Colorado run business since the sandwiches come in nug, pinner and blunt size. Once we got back (after getting lost since Olivia apparently doesn't trust my sense of direction) we headed to Leif's room before going to a few parties. I met some guy from my International security class, so I'm finally starting to branch out! I also got an invite back to our friend Missy's house for Thanksgiving and she's offered to take me snowboarding too.
But for now, I'll be using Labor day to recover from the weekends events and prepare for my classes. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment